Thursday, December 4, 2008

Video Podcast for EFL Students



http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=s5XyCm9RUgw

I have to admit that I am not good enough using technology, specially video editing software, but I tried to do y very best.

1.Description of intended students.

My students are 8th Spanish native speakers graders that are learning English as a foreign language. They are quite motivated to learn not only the language but also the culture that United States has. So, in order to help them to learn I planned this activity.

2.Description of Language Objective and Content Objectives for the individual podcast.

Languages Objectives: Provide the students the opportunity to listen to a native speaker, and to pay attention about what she says in relation to Thanksgiving, and based on the information they are provided, they have to write the answers for some questions. Then, they have to share with their classmates
Content objective.
Students will be able to appreciate the traditions of United Sates, understanding that they reflect the identity of each person that live there.

3.Description of the elements that make the podcast comprehensible.

I do think that this podcast is going to catch the students’ attention, because as they are interested in knowing about American parties and celebrations, they can be motivated easier, even though if the video they are shown is presented by an American native speaker. I do think that students are more motivated to learn and to participate in the activities the teacher plans for them, when they are expose to an authentic situation and the language is spoken by a native speaker.

4.Descriptions of the strategies that we have covered that have informed the choices that you have made with the podcast and how you will use it with students.

Based on the observations that I have made and also in the book I have read, I think that when the teacher has high expectations on his/her students they can notice this and feel themselves motivated to learn and do the things they are supposed to do. With this video I hope my students be able to understand a little more about American celebrations and also what this celebration means for American people. I also want them to improve their listening comprehension, by listening to an English native speaker.

2 comments:

Lisa Avery said...

Hi Claudio,
Is that me? I should have read more about my Thanksgiving history! Nice use of video and music, and a successful project, despite the badly sliced turkey. Great work. Lisa

Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Claudio,
This video is so enjoyable... well done! You will be a wonderfully motivating teacher. You ARE good at video editing!
Best wishes,
Gina